Friday, May 4, 2012

Outdoor Reading Day

Summer is right around the corner, and my students can feel it. They all want to be outside instead of in the classroom...so today my students enjoyed a day outdoors with their book. I invited students to bring a towel, sunglasses, sunscreen, and a hat in order to spend some quality reading time outside as a special treat. They loved it!

We stayed outside after reading to have a book discussion in groups by passing around a beach ball covered in questions:
  • What connection did you make to your reading today?
  • What do you think will happen next in the story? Why?
  • What was your favorite part of today's reading?
  • What type of reader would enjoy this book and why?
  • What character from your book would you like to be? Why?
  • What is the conflict in your story?
  • What is your story's theme?
We also spent time outside to do some spelling work with a paintbrush and water (no paint). My students painted their spelling words with water on the concrete sidewalks outside. No mess, free, and easy.

My students are begging me for another reading day outdoors. This was the perfect way to end the week.




No comments:

Post a Comment